Not many people who practice yoga are seen to be wearing socks. However, did you know that there are a lot of positive benefits that one can get from it? Yoga socks help improve the overall experience. If you want to know more details about it, continue reading down below.
Are Yoga Socks a Good Idea?
There are several good reasons why you should wear socks during yoga. Here are some of them:
- Many yoga practitioners try their best to keep everything sanitary. However, sometimes, it can be unavoidable that the floors or mats during a session become dirty, which will then transfer to the feet and hands of the person.
- The dirt from such activity may irritate the eyes or pimple growth. To avoid that, using yoga socks will keep your feet protected from these types of dirt sticking to your body.
- The number one safety concern for yoga is slippage. There can be few reasons for this to happen, such as shiny or wet floors. Sometimes, even sweaty feet can cause slipping accidents. By using yoga shoes, the user can have better traction to the floor. This will mitigate the risk of such incidents occurring.
- If you live in areas with cold weather, then you probably wish that you can wear socks for any activity to keep your toes warm and toasty. Well, with yoga socks, that is a dream come true. Moreover, yoga socks fit like a second skin that is like an extension to your body.
- Moreover, here are a couple of benefits of yoga socks that online shoppers are happy to share:
- “I use to have a lot of slipping problem. I even had an accident which resulted in a bruised hamstring. Wearing yoga sock has really help me maintain my poses. I feel steady and confident.”
- “I have really sweaty feet so even if I have the best mat, the moisture still causes me to slip sometime. But, when I started using yoga socks, it seems to become better. I only invested in two pairs, and I think I will certainly purchase more. They are absolute lifesavers!”
- “If you do yoga, you know how much strain it puts on your feet. For others, slipping is their biggest problem, but for me, it is a lack of support. So, I decided to try on yoga socks, and they are amazing! Not only do they add more grip, but it also gives me arch support. Now, my feet do not feel as much strain as before. They are also comfortable to wear and easy to mix and match with any outfit.”
Toe Vs. Closed-Toe Design and Other Styles
Yoga socks come in a variety of designs. The most common ones that you can find are toe and closed-toe. The toe socks look like gloves for but for the feet. They have existed since the 1960s. Celebrities, athletes, and even astronauts have commonly used them. This type of design fits like a glove to every crevice of the feet.
One the other hand, the closed-toe design is the plain socks that we are all accustomed to. Unlike the toe design where each toe has a designated pocket, this design only has one that covers all toes. It is straightforward.
Now, let us compare them side by side. The advantage of toe design socks is that they prevent blisters and improve blood circulation. Meanwhile, closed-toe socks are more affordable and cheaper. So, when comparing both of them together, it all boils down to preference. If you want socks with a better fit, then go for a toe design. If you prefer a conventional one, then the closed-toe is for you.
However, many online customers noted that they prefer closed-toe design. One reason that supports this is that it can be challenging to find a toe sock that fits well. Some toe socks can be too thick, which makes it uncomfortable to wear while others say that they are just not used to wearing toe socks at all.
There are also other socks designs out there, although they are not as popular as toe and closed-toe socks. An example of these are the following:
How To Choose the Best Yoga Socks
Did the information from the above encourage you to use yoga socks for your next session? If it did, here are some considerations that you must take to pick the most suitable yoga socks for you.
- As mentioned above, the most significant benefit that you will get from yoga socks is increasing traction. However, not all yoga socks are made equal. This is why you must notice where the grips are located. These grips looks are the rubber glue like spots on the socks. The material of the grip should also be carefully considered.
- You want your yoga socks to fit like a glove. Also, it should stay on you despite extensive movement. One way to make sure that the Fit is right is to get the most suitable size for your foot. Always check out the size charting.
- The comfort of your socks is highly contingent on the material used. In the sock industry, these materials vary from hypoallergenic, dyed, organic, and synthetic materials. A useful tip to follow when choosing is knowing the characteristic of your feet. Are they sensitive? Are they sweaty? This way, you can streamline the sock materials to choose from.
- Of course, price is one of the essential considerations when making a purchase. However, buying online or even in stores, does not give a guarantee that the purchased product is high-quality. But, looking at product reviews will manage your expectations.
- Socks should be washed after every use to ensure their cleanliness. However, because yoga socks have grips, some are not ideal for machine washing. If you do not like that idea, it is best that look at the aftercare instructions first before buying.
How Would You Design The Ultimate Non-Slip Yoga Socks?
We want to make sure that we get the right design of the Ultimate non-slip yoga socks, which is why we want to hear from you. We want to know what your preference is and how you want your yoga socks to be to help you improve and have a better quality of movement. This is why listed down below are several design elements to choose from of the best yoga socks.
Here are a couple of complaints from online shoppers when it comes to the material of their yoga socks:
“They look cute, but after a single-use, I notice how stretched they become to the point that they slip off my feet without any effort. I don’t think I’d be using them again.”
“I tend to do a lot of rigorous movements during my session, and unfortunately, this sock was not able to keep up. The arch overstretches, which is why it lost its support capacity. Also, the grips are just in the wrong places. They are mostly on the heel and only a few on the toes”.
The choice of material for construction is the most integral element. It dictates the quality of grip and durability of the socks.
Natural vs. Manmade
Natural socks materials may refer to cotton and wool. These materials are considered hydrophilic because they absorb a lot of moisture. However, the cotton material has low wicking properties, which mean, rather than expelling the absorb moisture to the shoes or floor. It retains them. This can give users that wet feeling after a specific time. Wool, on the other hand, has better wicking. Also, it has insulation properties that help keeps the skin warm.
Humanmade materials are also referred to as synthetic materials. An example of these is polyester and acrylic. Acrylic socks often outperform cotton because they have better wicking, which mitigates the development of blisters. Meanwhile, polyester fibers are designed to have better moisture movement.
In terms of designs, the sock material can be combined to a certain percentage to improve the quality of wicking and comfort.
Elastane or Spandex?
Basically, these two are just the same. It just that Elastane is the European variant of what is known to be Spandex in North America. This is a type of synthetic fiber that has incredible elasticity. These are also a good choice of material for socks because they are comfortable, elastic, and thin.
Silicone or PVC grips?
PVC grips are more affordable compared to silicone, but the later is more sticky. This means that in terms of grip quality, silicone has the upper hand. They are also more flexible and natural feeling.
Y-heel refers to a stitch type. Nowadays, most socks have Y-heel stitches because they provide bigger pockets for a more comfortable fit.
When doing yoga, heel grippers are a must. They prevent the socks from falling off despite intense movement. Having great heel grippers will also save you the effort of arranging your socks into place.
Arch compression is vital in any physical activity. It is even more needed in yoga because it requires a lot of stretching. Moreover, arch compression lessens the risk of injury or help support those with an injury.
Comfort and Performance
Sole grips are often texturized. They minimize the appearance of wear and tear. They also increase traction from the sole and reduce slippage.
Seamless toe has the capacity to hug the toe crevices of the feet correctly. It does not have that awkward excess angled pouch-like cloth the non-seamless socks have, so it is not irritating when you move.
Fine-gauge thread count
Thread counts are as important as the material for the comfort of socks. However, not plenty of distributors disclose the thread counts of their products. But, you can identify that it has a higher thread count when it is thinner. Also, a higher thread count is more durable.
Since mobility is highly needed in yoga, cushioned footbed socks are ideal for providing protection and support.
Size options and Fit
Here are several complaints about online shoppers about the sizing of their yoga socks:
“I purchase these for my mother, who is a size six, but this variant is a “one size fits all,” and the socks that arrived are too small for her, so I’m going going to give them to my six years old daughter instead.”
“This is my second order, but it seems like what arrived are much bigger even though I ordered the same size? I don’t know if their sizing was adjusted, or it was a shipping mishap, but these are too big for me to wear.”
You see, it is essential that when you buy your yoga socks, it is perfect for your feet. Not too tight and not also lose. To do this, always refer to the sizing charts of the products and know your measurements as well.
Yoga socks have several designs. We are going to break them down into two categories: color and style.
Final Thoughts - What's the Point of Yoga Socks?
Hopefully, you learned a lot about the benefits and advantages of yoga socks. Yoga socks are great investments for avid practitioners, especially those who usually do it outdoors or on hard floors. They help improve traction and provide support and protection to the feet. They also help maintain hygiene and avoid the development of blisters.
Check out our fine-gauge yoga socks, they might just be what you are looking for.